Calendar

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

My first 21km at Woodlands

My friend Memos has this habit of phoning me on a Friday to talk me into running a race. So Friday the 19th of October he phoned just to tell me on the 20th of October I have to run 21km. Memos doesn’t take “no” for an answer and soon the word “yes” came out of my mouth.

The day before a race it is always easy to say, “yes” but Saturday morning about 4o’clock the “race monster” attacked me. I woke Helgard up to tell him that I’m nervous about my first 21km. Helgard didn’t feel like any conversation, so he said “Do the 10km instead”. I replied “I want to do the 21km!” Helgard didn’t answer again, he was sleeping and snoring, and I also tried to sleep a little more.
At 05h20 my alarm went off, Memos phoned me at 05h25, just to make sure that I’m awake, I just told him that I was up, but not awake.

The race started at 06h00 at the Woodlands Boulevard. In the early stages of the race there were a lot of runners and a lot of “uphills”. All the water points had a good vibe, and at the water points rugby music was playing and people were singing along.
At the 7km mark the race splitted, the 10km turn left and the 21km went on straight. I was still feeling strong because I didn’t go too fast the first few kilometers. Fiscally I was “ok” but my mind told me to turn left. At the split I decided that I want to remember this race for the rest of my life, I didn’t get up at 05h20 for 10km and if the Springboks can play in the World Cup final I can run 21km, so after the “quick conversation” with myself I went on straight.

There were a lot of hills; the hills were tough because they were long. I didn’t walk, I just went on running slowly.
The 15km water point was something special. The Morelletta Nature Reserve was on the one side of the road and some girls were playing violin on the other side of the road. The calmness of the water point took me another 4km, and at 19km I was really tired, but soon after the 19km mark it was a “down”, my legs were hurting, but I knew that the finish line was 2km away.
At the finished line I received a medal, I was proud of myself, my first 21km and my time was 1:50 minutes. I stretched and had some Coke before I met Memos and Erika for breakfast.
Around the breakfast table I was showing off my medal. Memos and Erika told me that I have a gold medal, then I only realized that I was under the first 10 ladies, what a “wow” for me, my first 21km and I ran a gold medal.
I’m not sure if everyone that ran the 21km received a gold medal (will find out on Monday), but I’m so proud of myself that I’m already looking for sponsorships, I want to turn professional.
IMG_9645
With pride I would like to thank:
• Thank you God for 2 arms and 2 legs, thank you for protecting me when I go running in the mornings.
• Dad even if you are not with me, your spirits is with me, thank you for teaching me the value of exercising life.
• Fritz, thank you for making running a way of living.
• Memos thank you for supporting me, when I’m lazy.
• And last Helgard – thank you for asking me the same question every morning “How was your run?”

No comments: